BLINK GALLERY CALL FOR PROPOSALS 2016
Once again Blink Gallery is accepting proposals for our upcoming season!
Blink is a non-profit, Ottawa-based artist collective that supports professional contemporary artists with an interest in exploration. Emphasis is placed on using the gallery space – both interior and exterior – as a laboratory for creative approaches and interventions. Workshops, talks and other forms of public outreach held in conjunction with your exhibit are encouraged.
Please take some time to become familiar with the advantages and limitations of the space before making your proposal. Blink Gallery is best suited for smaller exhibitions, installations, performances, or shows with an outdoor component. Download Blink Gallery floor plan here.
This year Blink will host a two week Free School session based on the progressive pedagogical activities at Summer Hill Academy Summerhill is a democratic, self-governing school in which the adults and students have equal status. The school’s philosophy is to allow freedom for the individual – each student being able to take their own path in life, and following their own interests. At free school the student crafts his or her own curriculum. To learn more visit http://www.summerhillschool.co.uk/about.php
In keeping with the theme we urge applicants to make proposals which take into account some of these principles, particularly interactivity with the public. Artists are encouraged to include a Free School style workshop as a part of their proposal.
Artists working in all disciplines are encouraged to apply. Submissions of curated and group exhibitions are also welcomed. Artists from outside the Ottawa area are welcome to submit; however Blink does not cover transportation, accommodation or other exhibition-related costs.
You may request a one or two week exhibition but we cannot guarantee two week shows (dependant on number of successful applicants). Like-wise we will do our best to schedule your exhibition during a preferred time slot but we cannot make any guarantees.
All submissions are juried by Blink. Successful candidates are invited to exhibit at no charge, but are expected to arrange their own openings and gallery-sit for the duration of their exhibition. Each exhibit opens with a Thursday evening vernissage and runs Friday, Saturday and Sunday afternoons. Blink will provide a show card listing the exhibition schedule for the season.
March 7, 2016
– non-refundable $25 application fee (Cheques only and must be postmarked on the deadline date – please make it out to: Blink Gallery and mail to:
PO Box 57006
163 Bell St.
PLEASE SEND THE REST OF THE APPLICATION ELECTRONICALLY to
AND INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
– 10 images JPEG files max. 72 ppi 768 x 1024 pixels (Group submissions: include 10 images total of work by all artists involved in proposed exhibit)
– image list
– project/exhibition proposal statement (max. 500 words)
– artist statement (max. 500 words) (Group submissions: include brief statement for all artists in proposed exhibit)
– CV/bio (Group submissions: include CV/bio for all artists in proposed exhibit)
– contact information: email & mailing addresses (Group submissions: include information for ONE primary contact person)
N.B. please specify if you prefer a one or two week exhibit